Cooperative Extension San Bernardino County
7863 Central Avenue
Highland, CA 92346
Orange County - UC Cooperative Extension
Los Angeles County
Amrita Mukherjee, Small Farms/Urban Agriculture Advisor for San Bernardino, covering Riverside, Los Angeles (excluding desert areas), and Orange County.
As a UCCE Small Farms/Urban Agriculture Advisor, she directs a vital program that focuses on applied research and education for small-scale growers in both field and controlled-environment agriculture (CEA) of vegetable and specialty crops, with a strong emphasis on organic production. Her responsibilities include developing low-input, sustainable cropping systems for vegetable and specialty crops that optimize production while conserving water, preserving water quality, and implementing integrated Pest Management (IPM) in organic as well as traditional systems. Her dedication to diversity, equity, and community involvement extends to a diverse clientele group, which includes urban and small-scale farmers, government and non-government agricultural educators, and underserved smallholder farmers.
Ms. Mukherjee is currently either leading or collaborating with more than six projects including No-till cover crop use, a Biodegradable much system for organic strawberries, IPM practices for aphid controls in indoor farming, Diversified land use, and Improving water and nutrient efficiency in controlled Environment Agriculture in Southern California, with a focus on small-scale and urban growers.
Previously, Mukherjee worked for the International Rice Research Institute where she examined flash flood risk management in her homeland. She also worked for the Horticulture Innovation Lab management team at UC Davis as an assistant specialist in Bangladesh, focused on the nutrition impacts of horticultural innovations. Mukherjee earned a bachelor’s degree in agriculture from Khulna University, a master’s degree in biotechnology from Bangladesh Agricultural University, and a master’s degree in horticulture, plant biology, and post-harvest physiology from Kansas State University.
SpecialtyUrban Farms and food system, Organic Vegetable Production, Nutrient Management, Small Farms, Control Environment Agriculture
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Subtropical Fruits
- Vegetable Crops
- Leafy Vegetables
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Plant Product Quality and Utility (Preharvest)
- Plant Management Systems
- Basic Plant Biology
- Biological Control of Pests Affecting Plants
- Food Safety
- Economics of Agricultural Production and Farm Management
- Climate Change
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Deltsidis, A; A, Mukherjee (2016). New chimney dryer design results in faster drying due to higher air speeds. International Symposia on Tropical and Temperate Horticulture-ISTTH2016 1205. 157-164. 2016/11/20. https://www.actahort.org/books/1205/1205_18.htm
- Rezaul, Islam Mohd.; Amrita, Mukherjee (2015). Effect of spacing and fertilizer on the growth and yield of onion. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 4:10, 308-312. http://www.ijstr.org/final-print/oct2015/Effect-Of-Spacing-And-Fertilizer-On-The-Growth-And-Yield-Of-Onion.pdf
- Amrita Mukherjee, Mohd. Rezaul Islam Dr. Khondokar Mohammod Nasiruddin (2015). Study On Callus Initiation And Plantlet Regeneration Ability Of Some Rice Genotypes. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. 4, 354-61. http://www.ijstr.org/final-print/oct2015/Study-On-Callus-Initiation-And-Plantlet-Regeneration-Ability-Of-Some-Rice-Genotypes.pdf
- Al, Musa MAA; MA, Ullah (2013). Effect of BARI wheat varieties on seed germination, growth and yield under Patuakhali District. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources. 5:2, 209-212. 2013-04-29. https://www.banglajol.info/index.php/JESNR/article/view/14816
- A, Mukherjee; S, Khandker (2011). Efficacy of some plant extracts on the mycelial growth of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University. https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=view_citation&hl=en&user=4NQrg94AAAAJ&citation_for_view=4NQrg94AAAAJ:9yKSN-GCB0IC. 9:452-2016-35718. https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/208618/
- Patrick, Abeli; Tricia, Jenkins (2021). Effects of Sampling Date, Cutting Length and Sampling Position on Cannabinoid Content of Industrial Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) Grown in Kansas. 2021 ASHS Annual Conference. ASHS. 2021/8/6. https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/36198
- Amrita, Mukherjee; Patrick, Abeli (2021). Utilizing Colored Plastic Mulches to Improve Yield and Quality of Strawberries Grown in a High Tunnel Production System. 2021 ASHS Annual Conference. 2021 ASHS Annual Conference. https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/35948
- Angelos, Deltsidis; Amrita, Mukherjee (2019). Examining Nutrition Impacts and Sustainability of Horticultural Innovations in Southern Bangladesh. 2019 ASHS Annual Conference. ASHS. 2019/7/22. https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2019/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/31335
- A, Deltsidis; A, Mukherjee (2017). Amrita Mukherjee Innovative technologies to enhance availability of nutritious foods in Bangladesh. 2017 ASHS Annual Conference. ASHS. 2017/9/20. https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2017/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/26658